The Big E, also known as The Eastern States Exposition, is billed as "New England's Great State fair". It is the largest agricultural event on the eastern seaboard and the fifth-largest fair in the nation. The Big E is inclusive of all six of the New England states: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont. Each of the New England states is prominently represented at the fair. The Big E is held every autumn in West Springfield, Massachusetts. Each year, the fair opens on the second Friday after Labor Day and runs for seventeen days.
WMMGA maintains an Information booth at the Big E to answer gardening questions of the public. We answer hundreds (thousands?) of gardening questions over the 17 days. Some of the most popular are:
- Why aren't my hydrangeas blooming?
- How can I prevent blossom end rot?
- What can I do about early blight?
- How do I get rid of powdery mildew?
- How can I become a Master Gardener?
- And of course, where are the restrooms?!